Friday, August 30, 2013

Jamais Vu

“There’s an opposite to déjà vu. They call it jamais vu. It’s when you meet the same people or visit places, again and again, but each time is the first. Everybody is always a stranger. Nothing is ever familiar.” Chuck Palahniuk

I go back to California every year and it always feels different but the same. I stay with my family, I eat the same In-N-Out burger, and I surf in the same waters - but it somehow always feels like new, like the first time.
But for the first time, I've come back to Boston not to just see family and experience jamais vu, but to actually experience Boston for the first time...from a new perspective.
I left California with a stomach twisted with excitement and quite a bit of anxiety of what the near future had in store for me. But the minute we landed in Mass, all fears were put at ease.
We got breakfast at legendary cheapy-way-too-sweet-good-ol-American-all-day-breakfast at IHOP where bottomless coffee, scrambled eggs and a stack of pancakes fed the butterflies in my stomach before we made our way to my new dorm room at university.



My favorite backpack, ukulele, and every other belonging in tow, we headed inside to check out the room.



It sure doesn't look like much at first, but slowly & surely it's coming along! Once it's up to par, I'll give you a proper tour.
Having checked 'Move In' off my list, we explored my new hometown where I gawked at landmarks and met new friends.
A few days have passed and I've noticed more and more things my dorm has been missing..so a trip to Target was in order!
Loading up 3 carts to the brim, we checked out and I made my first purchase on my own card.
Not a little girl anymore! Although free stuff from mum and pops are always welcome ;)
And we celebrated my move in at dinner where I received my idea of the best 18th birthday gift from my family friends: two tickets to the Red Sox vs. Tigers game at legendary Fenway Park!
Having a dad who's always supported his Mass teams, it was inevitable that his passion would rub off on me. And because I have him to thank for that, I'm taking him with me to the game. After all, I needa split the peanuts and Cracker Jacks with someone I love!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this: - thank you for introducing me to "Jamais Vu" and good luck and happy settling in to your dorm! x

    ReplyDelete